Friday, March 24, 2023

Wine Tasting 3/24/23

 Name: Duplin Hatteras Red


Variety: Muscadine grapes

Country of origin: United States

Region: North Carolina

Vintage year: 2022

Price: $9 

Wine Review: This is from the winery and why they think everyone loves this wine. Hatteras Red has been our best seller for at least 25 years, and cases (12 bottles) are 30% off when you order online June 5, 6 and 7. Sweet and fruity, with a bite at the end, this blend of late-harvest Muscadine grapes is an easy drinker for folks new to wine. We call it our "beer-converter wine" because so many beer drinkers end up loving Hatteras Red. And it's a perfect match with our Chocolatini Sweetzer.

Wine Folly: There wasn’t a section in the text for muscadine wine, but I looked up that it is similar to port wine. I went to that section on page 154. In this section there were a lot of similarities between the two. They were both super sweet and had a dark, cherry plummy flavor. There was also a smokey smell which hinted that it could have been aged in a barrel. 

My review: I thought it was way too sweet. I like sweet wine, but this was like cough syrup. It was so sugary. I feel like this would be best if paired with meat to balance savory and sweet. I rate it a 5/10 because I did get hints of cherry which was nice. I did not try it with food.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Wine Tasting 4/15/23

I had tried a wine-to-go pinot grigio before for a wine and cheese but it was a different brand so I wanted to try another brand and see if ...