Sunday, April 16, 2023

Dinner Blog 4/15/23

I had dinner with my family including my mom, my aunt and my little sister, along with my boyfriend. My mom and my aunt are both wine drinkers are open to try anything. My boyfriend hasn't had that many wines so he was very new to this. And of course my sister was just there for the food.  

Cythina (aunt, white shirt), Wanda (mom, blue shirt), Hunter (boyfriend), Leah (sister) and Me

Appetizer was chips and red salsa. The wine paired with this was Peter Mertes Riesling. 

Mom and Aunt












The wine before eating: I tasted sweet pear with hints of mango. This wine was also acidic and left some tingles on the tounge, 

After eating the chips and salsa: The wine was not as acidic, it felt smoother. The taste was sweeter and even a little bit fruiter. 

Overall I like this wine more after eating the chips and salsa. I think it brought out more texture and flavors that I wouldn't have tasted without it. My mom also agreed on this one saying she liked it better after eating. 


Main Course was steak, potatoes and green beans. The wine paired with this was a Blackstone Merlot. 


Before eating: The wine had high tannins and was very plumy. I wouldn't normally drink this wine without having some to snack on. There were bold flavors and textures. 

After eating: the steak cut out on the tannins and brought out more plum flavors, along with some rasberry flavors.  

I think that if I had made a full steak instead of chopping it up, the wine would have tasted even better. Overall, the steak and the merlot paired very well together. My aunt is not a red wine drinker and she enjoyed this wine so much she poured herself a second glass after the meal. 


Desert was apple pie. The wine paired with this was Stella Rosa Moscato D'asti.

All of us about to eat the apple pie


Before eating: This wine was a little bubbly, there were hints of apples and pears more tree fruits than acidic fruits. We all enjoyed this wine even before eating the pies. 

After eating: The apples in the pie brought out the apple in the wine, the wine was less acidic as well and more smoother. I thought the wine after was better than drinking it before. 

I would drink this wine with or without the apple pie. I think the apple pie brought out flavors, but it was good to begin with. Everyone poured a second glass of this wine. 


We all were stuffed and feeling good from the wine. After we ate we enjoyed the rest of the afternoon going to antique store. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Wine Tasting 4/15/23

I had tried a wine-to-go pinot grigio before for a wine and cheese but it was a different brand so I wanted to try another brand and see if ...