Monday, February 27, 2023

Wine Pairing

I did this wine and cheese pairing with another person in this class, Leilani Scott. We are in the same major and have had a bunch of classes together in previous semesters. 


I am very new to describing wines, so I am trying my best to describe what I am smelling and tasting in the wines and cheeses. I hope as I do these tastings I become better and learn more about what I like. We decided to try and pair Sweet Riesling with monetary and asiago, a Rose with Havarti, and a Cabernet Sauvignon with aged cheddar. 


Sweet Riesling with Monterey jack and asiago 

Sweet Riesling

The smell was light, sweet and I got a hint of some citrus in there as well. I tasted it first without any cheese and I got a hint of peach with a little zing at the end. I tried Asiago cheese with the riesling and it cut out the zing it had at the end. Then I tried it with Monterey jack and this enhanced the citrus flavors instead of cutting them out. I think the monterey was better with this wine. 


Monterey Jack and Asiago
Sweet Riesling

Rose

Rose with Havarti 

The smell was sweet with a hint of pear. The taste was very light and dry. I was not a fan of the taste. I tried this wine with Havarti and it made it taste a little better, but I was still not a fan. The cheese brought out more of a metallic taste and a bite at the end. I think overall the cheese made this wine taste better. 

Havarti 


Rose

Cabernet Sauvignon with Aged cheddar 

Cabernet Sauvignon
The smell was berry, maybe with a little bit of plumy hints as well. The taste was dry and a little bit berry. I tried this wine with aged cheddar. The aged cheddar being a drier cheese made the wine even more drier, but also had a bigger bite at the end. I think these two paired very well. I was excited for this pairing and it was my favorite combination.


Aged Cheddar



Cabernet Sauvignon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Wine Tasting 4/15/23

I had tried a wine-to-go pinot grigio before for a wine and cheese but it was a different brand so I wanted to try another brand and see if ...